Saturday 30 May 2015

'Ghosting', Jonathan Kemp in conversation with Kerry Hudson:

In opposition to many writers and academics these days, I do not like to negatively critique other people's work. I consider it to be a form of lazy intellectualism. If we are to endlessly deconstruct things we don't like just to justify our own standing as 'a professional audience', then how is this particularly helpful? It is ultimately a reductive exercise that limits, rather than expands our shared understanding.

Occasionally I slip in the odd rant about the horrendous social, political and economic landscape here in London. However, with cultural products, both tangible and intangible, I prefer to write about the things I like. In case you hadn't noticed:

I REALLY HATE WASTING TIME WRITING ABOUT STUFF I HATE!


Naturally this leaves me open to criticism from colleagues that I am unreliable as a critic. Yes, we've all sniggered at the acerbic reviews from Private Eye's Bookworm; but by what parameters are we supposed to read a text? Constant negative criticism frequently descends into a purely subjective interpretation that can be summed up in the overused critical trope, "I am the self appointed professional audience, I know about these things and I hate it because..."

Anyway, enough of the negative, back to the positive:

Jonathan Kemp in conversation with Kerry Hudson.


I really recommend that you should read the latest novel from Jonathan Kemp, Ghosting.  


It is one of the most engaging pieces of literary fiction I have read for some time; so much so, that I have already read it twice.

Ghosting focuses on 8 days in the life of the 64 year old protagonist Grace Wellbeck, in which she confronts her inner 'ghosts' and embraces the reality of her present. Although her narrative unravels revealing a history of sadness and violence, it is counterbalanced by warmly comedic encounters that evoke an ethereal, almost super-natural aesthetic.

In conversation with Kerry Hudson, Jonathan has revealed his insistence on acknowledging the intertextual aspects of his work. This is a fascinating insight into the mind of a contemporary artist; one that recognizes the preexistence of a complex mesh of cultural ideas from which new constellations emerge. 

For me, Ghosting weaves an enchanted fabric of text that approaches the difficult subjects of loss and regret with a tenderness that is instantly recognizable. This is not just another charming Shirley Valentine tale of self discovery; it's an authentic representation of someone reaching out to their family. More than this, it is a refreshing exploration into the role of the contemporary writer. In this time of the spectacle, where we live in a perpetually mediated fantasy, perhaps the purpose of the fictional writer is to construct our new realities? To this end, Ghosting captures an aspect of relationships that exists in us all. 

Ghosting is available from Myriad editions, follow the link to order your copy:

Ghosting.


Image courtesy of Myriad Editions website. 



No comments:

Post a Comment